People say that food can “save your soul”. When I was eating this Avocado Pasta I felt the meaning of it for the first time. It was just a real stressful day, these kind of days when you come home in the evening and realize that you’ve actually been running around all day and didn’t take time to sit and relax and least of all enjoy something to eat. My go-to to destress from such days is a large plate of pasta.
In the case of this recipe I literally simply combined some of my favorite foods to make the most comforting and “brighten-up-your-day-again” dish. It just has everything a pasta lover like me could wish for: a creamy sauce, soft, roasted pumpkin (almost burnt at the edges – that’s how I like it the most), subtle sweet pomegranate and crunchy pistachios. Not to forget the nutritional yeast which I drizzled on top – totally optional, but who doesn’t like that kind of cheesy taste on top of pasta? What I also want to mention is that overall, this dish takes about 40 minutes to make of which most of the time is pumpkin roasting on its own. So this makes the perfect dish for lazy days or – as in my case – recovery from stressful days. On that note, get that avocado scooped out and that pumpkin roasted and enjoy!
- 160 g pasta of choice
- 400 g hokkaido pumpkin
- Herbs or spices of choice (e.g. cinnamon, cumin, rosemary, thyme, garlic, chili, ...)
- 1/2 avocado
- Non-dairy milk (to adjust texture)
- 4 Tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 4 Tbsp pistachios, roughly chopped
- Nutritional yeast (for topping)
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Cut the pumpkin into bitesized pieces and spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season with some salt and spices of your choice. Roast in the oven at 180°C for about 30 minutes (until the edges of the pumpkin pieces begin to brown).
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the package instruction. Keep the pasta warm until serving.
- Make the avocado sauce by mashing the avocado in a bowl and stirring in milk until you reach a creamy, not too runny consistency. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- When the pumpkin is done mix it with the pasta and the sauce.
- For serving top the pasta with the pomegranate seeds, pistachios and some nutritional yeast.