A dish to save your day…
Looks like summer is finally saying goodbye. So much for the bad news. The good news is that fall season brings about a whole new range of vegetables and fruit to try and make new fantastic and exciting recipes!
And this is the first one of (I guess) many to come about. Which vegetable is more associated with fall than pumpkin? I can’t think of many. And what are we craving for when temperatures are dropping? As for me, I find myself longing for more hearty comfort food instead of summery salad bowls.
This Crispy Pumpkin “Cheese“ Pasta Bake was exactly what I was craving for on this overcast day: Nourishing pasta with a rich creamy sauce and some crunchy deliciousness in top. No lie: This recipe can really save your day!
- 1 hokkaido pumpkin (about 800 g when flesh and kernels are removed)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Cayenne pepper
- 120 g pasta of choice (I used durum wheat radiatori)
- Roasted pumpkin (from above)
- 300 mL non-dairy milk
- 3-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Cayenne pepper
- Spring onion
- Wash the pumpkin (you don't have to peel it when using a hokkaido pumpkin), cut in half and remove the flesh and the kernels. Cut half of the pumpkin into chunks and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Roast in the oven at 180°C for 40 minutes.
- Take the other half of the pumpkin and grate roughly to make pumpkin flakes. Mix with olive oil, nutritional yeast, salt and cayenne pepper and roast along with the pumpkin chunks for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally, so everything gets browned evenly. When they just start to get crispy, take the flakes out of the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the package instruction.
- When the pumpkin chunks are tender add them to a food processor together with the sauce ingredients. Mix until you get a creamy sauce and season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Mix the pasta and the sauce in an ovenproof dish. Put the pumpkin flakes on top, then bake in the oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes.
- For serving, garnish with some chopped spring onion.
- Serve with a salad on the side.